Buthrotum (now Butrinto, uninhabited), founded traditionally by the Trojan Helenus on a low hill at the seaward end of a narrow channel leading from a lake, possessed fine harbours and fisheries and was a port of call on the coasting route along Epirus. It has prehistoric remains, a fine theatre, and strong Hellenistic fortifications. The centre of a tribal union, it later became a Roman colony. Recent excavation reveals cultural influence from Archaic Corinth.
L. M. Ugolini, Albania antica 3 (1942).Find this resource:
N. G. L. Hammond, Epirus, see index.Find this resource:
Studime Historike 2 (Tiranë 1966), 143 ff.Find this resource:
Excavation reports in Iliria.Find this resource:
K. Arafat and C. Morgan, Dialogos 2 (1995), 25 ff.Find this resource:
M. H. Hansen and T. H. Nielsen (eds.), An Inventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis no. 91.Find this resource: