- Nancy Morrow-HowellNancy Morrow-HowellWashington University in St. Louis
- and Leslie HascheLeslie HascheProf. Leslie Hasche is an Assistant Professor at the University of Denver, and is interested in direct social work practice related to gerontology and mental health. Her research targets improving care for older adults with depression, a crucial means of promoting their independence and quality of life. Her scholarship builds directly from her research on community-based services’ response to the mental health needs of older adults and on her practice experiences in health and mental health care settings. As a John A. Hartford Geriatric Social Work Faculty Scholar (Cohort XI), Hasche is directing a study to understand agencies’ organizational readiness to adopt evidence-based depression care for older adults. This research is being conducted in partnership with the National Council on Aging and the treatment developers of Healthy IDEAS. Hasche has published scholarly articles on the mental health needs of older adults in journals such as The Gerontologist, Psychiatric Services and The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Hasche enjoys integrating her research and previous practice experience into teaching clinical and gerontology courses, and she is committed to mentoring new social workers entering the promising and rewarding field of geriatric social work.
Despite high levels of functioning among older adults, chronic health conditions lead to impairment and the need for help. Family members provide most of the assistance; yet formal services such as in-home personal and homemaker services, congregate and home-delivered meals, adult day services, employment and educational services, transportation, nursing homes, assisted and supportive living facilities, legal and financial services, and case management are available. Even with the growing number and type of services, unequal access and uneven quality persist. In these settings, social workers develop and administer programs, provide clinical care, offer case management and discharge planning, and contribute to policy development.
- Care of the Elderly
- Developmental and Physical Disabilities Social Work
- Direct Practice and Clinical Social Work
- Mental and Behavioural Health
- Occupations, Professions, and Work