- Lori MessingerLori MessingerProfessor and Director, School of Social Work, College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina Wilmington
- and Jennifer Wheeler BrooksJennifer Wheeler BrooksUniversity of Illinois at Chicago
This entry provides an overview of research on lesbians in the United States using an overarching framework of oppression and empowerment. Historical and current demographic and cultural information about lesbians will be reported, along with an analysis of personal and environmental factors critical to social work practitioners' ability to enhance the well-being of lesbian individuals, couples, and families.
- Couple and Family Social Work
- Gender and Sexuality
- Human Behaviour and the Social Environment
- Social Policy and Advocacy
- Social Justice and Human Rights