- Lauren B. GatesLauren B. GatesSchool of Social Work, Columbia University
Vocational rehabilitation (VR) services, provided through a jointly funded state–federal rehabilitation system and available in each state, help people with disabilities prepare for, secure, and sustain employment. Since 1920, VR Programs have helped 10 million individuals with disabilities reach employment. Anyone with a mental or physical disability is eligible for VR services. While a range of services is provided, the services most consistent with VR goals are those, such as supported employment, that promote full integration into community life. Social workers are essential to community-based VR services; however, a challenge for the profession is to assume new roles to meet best practice vocational standards.
- Public Management and Administration
- Developmental and Physical Disabilities Social Work
- Direct Practice and Clinical Social Work
- Social Policy and Advocacy